|Serving Sizes by Weight||Serving Sizes by Volume||Serving Each |
|5.6 oz||12 Tbsp||N/A |
|7.5 oz||1 C||N/A |
|Recipe Total Yield |
|2 gal, 3.5 qt |
|22.5 lb |
|Analysis||Meat / Meat Alternate (oz)||Grains / Breads (Servings)||Vegetables / Fruits (Cups) |
|Ingredients||Instruction||As Purchased||Prepped by Weight||Prepped by Volume||Prepped Each |
|WATER||1 gal|| |
|Soup Base, Beef ||2 oz||2 oz||3 Tbsp, 1 tsp|| |
|Vegetable Oil||1 C||8 oz||1 C|| |
|Beef, Stew Meat||3/4 inch cubes||15 lb||15 lb|| |
|Carrot, Whole||med dice||3.31 lb||3 lb||2 qt, 1 pt|| |
|Celery||1/2 inch dice||1.09 lb||12 oz||1 qt|| |
|Onion, Yellow||med dice||1.13 lb||1 lb||1 qt|| |
|Flour, All Purpose||12 oz||12 oz||1 pt, 1 C|| |
|Potatoes, Red||1 inch cubes||5.2 lb||4 lb||3 qt|| |
|Salt, Kosher||1 oz||1 oz||4 Tbsp|| |
- Defrost stew meat for at least 2 full days under refrigeration. Meat must be completely thawed or will not brown properly.
- Place meat in perforated drain pans in the walkin to eliminate excess liquid.
- Whisk beef base into 1 qt water to make a stock.
- If using a tilt skillet, heat all of the oil over high heat. If using a rondeau or similar pan, this must be done in batches. (2 ounces oil per 4 lb meat).
- Add meat to the pan and sear until all sides are browned.
- Remove meat from pan and hold in walkin until ready to use.
- Add celery, onions and carrots to the pan.
- Cook until vegetables begin to soften.
- Remove vegetables from pan and lay out on sheetpans in the walkin until ready to use.
- Toss the browned meat with flour until all meat is evenly coated.
- Return meat to the pan and add stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until meat is fork tender.
- Return vegetables, drained potatoes and the additional 3 quarts of water to the pan.
- Cook until stew is thickened and potatoes are cooked.
- Transfer into 2-inch hotel pans and hold hot for service or cool according to HACCP SOP.
- Reheat, covered, to 165 degrees.
|2.5" Hotel Pan |
|11.25 lb |
|1 gal, 1.75 qt |
|6 oz spoodle |
|8 oz spoodle |