For the sauce:
1. In a stockpot, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes (cayenne) and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add water, chicken base, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, orange peel with strained juice, and black pepper. Combine and simmer for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove orange peel.
If freezing, stop here. Properly cool the sauce (down to 70 degrees F in 2 hours and down to or below 41 degrees F in 4 hours).
4. Heat sauce to 190-200 degrees F, create slurry by whisking together cornstarch and cold water. Add to sauce and whisk constantly until smooth and coats the back of a spoon. This will take at least three minutes. Do not boil.
Hot hold at or above 140 degrees or properly cool (down to 70 degrees F in 2 hours and down to or below 41 degrees F in 4 hours).
For the vegetables:
5. Cook vegetables until al dente.
6. Cover and hot hold all vegetables at or above 140 degrees.
Optional: Can prepare vegetables day before using steaming and chilling method. Before service, reheat properly.
For the bowl:
7. Cook brown rice in steamer or oven. Hot hold at or above 140 degrees.
8. Reheat chicken to 165 degrees for 15 seconds. Hot hold at or above 140 degrees.
Note: For the orange peel, use a paring knife or peeler to separate large pieces of peel from pith, count the number of pieces. Next, juice the oranges, strain, and add to sauce. Before thickening, remove the peel as you would bay leaves.
Note: Vegetables can be cooked in steamer, tilt, or blanched on stovetop.