Sustainable practices are possible in every kitchen. With an ever-increasing focus on environmental impacts and sustainable methods, school food presents a major opportunity for positive change. Any school or district can start to implement sustainable practices, although more extensive improvements will require a dedicated effort.
Key benefits of Sustainable Lunchrooms:
- Reduced long-term expenditures in serviceware supplies (e.g. reusable lunch trays)
- Reduced food and packaging waste
- Educational opportunities for students to learn about the connections between the food they eat and the larger environment
- Lower food cost with plant-forward recipes, extra funds can reallocate to higher-quality ingredients
- Limited use of harsh cleaning chemicals
Other Fresh Food Initiatives
The addition of salad bars to your meal program provides an immediate transformation to your lunchrooms. They provide the opportunity to truly engage students in an appreciation of fresh, whole foods.
By offering breakfast after the bell to all students, we can reduce the severe negative impact of hunger on school age children across the country.